Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for Xiphosura






Xiphosura is scientific name of the Order that Horse Shoe Crab's are found in.  Horseshoe crabs are the only remaining Family in this Order. The scientific name of the family is Limulidae.  Despite the crab in their name they are actually related to arachnids.  There are only four types of horse shoe crabs left in the world.

<-----------The Tachypleus gigas found in South East Asia.













The Atlantic Horseshoe Crab------------>
(I've actually seen this type before at the beach)












<-----------------The Mangrove Horseshoe Crab found in                                    Asia.













The Tachypleus tridentatus also found along the coast of Asia.--------->














I mainly chose Xiphosura since I was looking for an X word that wasn't x-ray and because I like horseshoe crabs.
I've actually seen them in the wild before.  And while they are kinda creepy looking they are still really cool. 
Hope you enjoyed my letter "X"!


Thanks for stopping by!






No comments:

Post a Comment