Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I is for Irish Potatoes

So I LOVE Irish Potatoes.  Love,love,love,love,LOVE!   Usually I can only find them around St. Patty's Day.   However, this year, I couldn't find them ANYWHERE!!!   So sad! :'(


What's even worse, everyone I mentioned that I wanted them to looked at me like I was crazy.  I actually told one friend they could get me some in exchange for a favor I did for her, and she said ok I'll buy you potatoes at the store.  "No, Irish potatoes, not regular potatoes"  I said, to which she replied. "Huh?"  Horror of horrors! She didn't know what they were! Then to make matters worse I was telling my boyfriend about it and he had the same reaction.  He had no idea what I was talking about!  *ARGH!*  


At this point I was desparate.  It's not that they are my favorite candy.  There are one or two things that I do like more.  But you know how it is, when someone says you can't have something, it just makes you want it even more.   Fortunately I have a very awesome mom.   (Not to mention she knows what Irish Potatoes are.) I mentioned to her that I couldn't find any and she was nice enough to go online and find a recipe and make some for me!!! (I know I coulda done that myself, but I just hadn't gotten that desperate yet)  


So now I have 2 big pans of Irish Potatoes!!  I plan on giving one or two to my boyfriend and my friend, so they know what they are.  But the rest are all mine!!!!


But I figured I would be nice enough to share the recipe my mom used so you can make your own.   Here's the recipe, hope you enjoy them! (we found the recipe at All Recipes.com )
\






Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter,  softened
  • 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon


  • Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon. Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment