Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2012-April Round Up!-Pt.2


This challenge is being hosted by Mother/Gamer/Writer.
 For more details on the challenge such as levels, guidelines, PRIZES!!!, just click here.

This post is to  link to all reviews of the books I've read for this challenge this month. To check out  books for this month read by other readers that are taking part in this challenge click here! 


So let's continue my round up for April with some of the books from the series Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori.


Ouran High School Host Club Volume 1
By: Bisco Hatori

Summery from Amazon:
One day, Haruhi, a scholarship student at exclusive Ouran High School, breaks an $80,000 vase that belongs to the 'Host Club', a mysterious campus group consisting of six super-rich (and gorgeous) guys. To pay back the damages, she is forced to work for the club, and it's there that she discovers just how wealthy the boys are and how different they are from everybody else.



My Review:

OMG! This book is a laugh riot! The artwork is first rate, and I love the background detailing!  
I wasn't sure at first that I would like this one.  I probably would have gotten a bigger laugh out of it if I hadn't known ahead of time that Haruhi was a girl.  For the first part of the story I kept waiting for the other guys in the club to find out and it kinda made the story seem to drag out at that point for me.  But after that point I really enjoyed it.  It was funny. There were tons of tongue-in-cheek jokes.   I loved how all the girls loved Haruhi and thought she was a guy.  The fact that then Tamaki becomes obsessed with seeing Haruhi as a girl, but at the same time he needs to keep her looking like a guy, so that she can work off the money she owes for the vase.  Tamaki himself is hysterical! He is sooo overly dramatic and self-absorbed.  But since he is kind of oblivious to his own faults he just ends up being really funny. Click here to read the rest of my review!


Ouran High School Host Club Volume 2
By: Bisco Hatori

Summery from Amazon:

In this screwball romantic comedy, Haruhi, a poor girl at a rich kids' school, is forced to repay an $80,000 debt by working for the school's swankiest, all-male club - as a boy! There, she discovers just how wealthy the six members are and how different the rich are from everybody else...The school-wide physical exam has thrown the members of the elegant Host Club for a loop. How can the doctor not discover that Haruhi is a girl?! And once the female customers learn the truth, Haruhi can kiss her job goodbye. But then life at the club will be unbearably boring if she leaves! So the guys wrack their brains for a solution...


My Review:

Still loving Host Club!  
Tamaki is starting to get so over the top in his reactions, and Haruhi just shoots him down each time.  Honestly I think all the boys in the club are funny, but I do have my favorites. (Although sometimes it varies by chapter)  I especially got a kick out of the chapter were the twins  are "trying" to be different from each other and go so far as to dye Hikaru's hair Flamingo Pink. (I soooo wish these frame were in color!!) But really the way they all interact and play off each other is great. I found myself laughing every time I turned the page. Don't get me wrong the boys have their sensitive sides as well, but that doesn't take away from the fun.  Click here to read the rest of my review.




Ouran High School Host Club Volume 3
By: Bisco Hatori

Summery from Amazon:
It's summer break, and the Host Club crew head to the beach, dragging our reluctant heroine with them. When Haruhi stands up to some local bullies and gets tossed into the ocean, Tamaki, the Host Club King, rescues her. But afterward, he's so mad that he won't speak to her until she apologizes. Trouble is, Haruhi can't figure out what she should be sorry for!


My Review:

Loved watching the boys at the beach!   They are sooo funny! And how they turned it into a business venture in the process, so entrepreneurial.  I love the little side contest they set up to see what Haruhi is afraid of. Although the pictures of her that Koyoya offers to the winner are kinda creepy... I mean I understand they are in high school and her middle school pics are only a year or so old at most.  But She looks REALLY young in the pics he shows.   
Click here to read the rest of my review.



Ouran High School Host Club Volume 4

By: Bisco Hatori

So no summery for this one...have to write it myself, with as few spoilers as possible.

So the boys from the host club  decided to visit Haruhi at home!  As it left off in the previous volume, Haruhi's dad walked in right after Tamaki tripped and landed on top of Haruhi!  (despite his feminine attire, her dad has no problem being scarey!)  He also proceeds to go into disguise mode.  He and the rest of the boys from the host club, follow her and Tamaki to a local "commoners" store.  Needless to say hilarity ensues!
Also in this volume:
Valentine's Day at Ouran High, and the whole club goes down the rabbit hole and plays out Alice in Wonderland.  Plus the club decides to help out the school newspaper and let them do an article on them to help boost readers.  Of course their idea of a news worthy article is the paper writing about their playing a "Commoner's" game.  

Again, so loving the Host Club!  Haruhi's father is really sweet.  He tries so hard to understand and connect with his daughter, and fails miserably! (like most fathers)  But he really cares about her, and isn't afraid to threaten the host boys, who he sees as potential suitors to his precious Haruhi.  It's funny, Haruhi and her father have more in common then they realize.  For example they both are working as cross dressers...waiting for this one to come up in a future volume.  
Poor Mori, his relationship with Hunny is soooo complex... In the Valentine's episode he even turns a girl down, because he feels he needs to punish himself for failing his friend.  
Click here to read the rest of my review.



So there are volumes 1-4 of the Ouran High School Host Club.  I will put up the next 4 in another post later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment