Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for Manga

I have always been a fan of Manga. Although more recently I haven't had the time or money to begin reading a new series.  However my decision to participate in the Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge, that is being hosted by Mother/Gamer/Writer, has brought Manga back into my TBR list with a vengeance.  It also helps that both my girls are HUGE Manga fans.  I didn't realize this until I said "Girls do you have any Manga on your shelves that I could read?"  Within a few minutes there was the sound of books crashing to the floor and they came into the living room with the arms full of books.  I still haven't gotten a chance to read all of them.

For those of you who don't know what Manga is, here is a quick definition:

Manga are Japanese comic books that are read from right to left. Even when translated to other languages, such as English, they are still set up to be read from right to left.  There are a bunch of Sub-genre's in Manga that the books can be separated into, just like with regular fiction.


Ok, that's a really short definition.  If you want to find out more click here or here.
Some of the Manga I have found are:


MeruPuri by: Matsuri Hino

On the way to school one morning, Airi loses her mirror - one that had been passed down to her through generations - and suddenly finds herself in a bizarre situation. Never in her wildest dreams did she expect Aram, a little boy from a magical kingdom, to have emerged from the mirror in the short time it took her to track it down!
Click here to see my reviews of the MeruPuri volumes.





Oaran High School Host Club by: Bisco Hatori


One day, Haruhi, a scholarship student at exclusive Ouran High School, breaks an $80,000 vase that belongs to the 'Host Club', a mysterious campus group consisting of six super-rich (and gorgeous) guys. To pay back the damages, she is forced to work for the club, and it's there that she discovers just how wealthy the boys are and how different they are from everybody else.

I have just started reading this one, and I have more than just the first volume, so expect reviews later this month.  So far it's REALLY funny though.




Venus Vs. Virus by Atsushi Suzumi

Sumire Takahana is a seemingly normal school girl cursed with the ability to see malevolent ghosts known as "Viruses." Her life comes to a dramatic crossroads when she meets Lucia Nahashia, an eye-patch wearing, "gothic lolita"-clad monster killer for hire. Not content to stay on the sidelines while the Viruses prey on the weak, Sumire decides to join the Lucia in Venus Vanguard to hunt down Viruses before they can hurt anyone else.

But Sumire's battle with the Viruses has unforeseen consequences: a dark power wells up in her in a brutal berserker form! Lucia must stop Sumire from destroying all of Venus Vanguard without killing her friend. Meanwhile, Sumire's power attracts the attention of Sonaka, a mysterious who controls the Viruses, and watches, and waits, and plans...

I have just finished this one.  The girls brought home a 3 in 1 omnibus from the school library.  I should have the review of it up sometime in the next week.  I'm not sure I like the idea behind Goth/Lolita Manga, which is it's own sub-genre of Manga, but I did really enjoy the artwork and the story in this one.


So do you read Manga?  If so what are some of your faves?  I'd love to have some more to add to my list.










2 comments:

  1. Great post! I never knew what Manga was. I think it's interesting that it's read from right to left.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Michelle :)
    www.michelle-pickett.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing is there's tons of different genres of Manga to choose from too!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete