Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Opinions

O is for Opinions.  Not specifically anybody's opinion, just opinions in general.

As the saying goes opinions are like a$$#0ls everyone has one.  Maybe not everyone has an opinion on everything, but everyone has an opinion on something.  What I want to know is your opinion on opinions. Are you one of those people who will buy something without checking the reviews that are out there for it?  Say a book for example. ( I know a lot of people out there have begun checking what other people think about a book before spending money on it.  Especially if money is tight and they are on a limited budget)

If you are one of those people who checks out other peoples opinions on an item before buying how do you go about deciding who's opinion to check out?  Again we'll use the book example.  Do you just check reviews on Amazon or Goodreads or wherever else the book might be listed?   Or do you have a go to blog or site that you check to see if they've read the book yet?  If you have a  blogger who you read on a regular basis and they say they don't like a specific book would that change your mind about buying it?

I'd love to know your OPINIONS on the matter! Thanks for stopping by to check out my blog!





3 comments:

  1. Ooooh... I don't think I'm consistent. I buy books that have been written by authors I love. I take recommendations from friends whose reading tastes I trust. Unlike food, where I don't listen to advertising, I do read blurb and do read reviews. Blurb can be misleading - so can the cover of a book, I don't know why children's books in particular feel they have to have a cover that in no way represents the quality of the book inside, whether better or worse. The cover is in a way an opinion of itself. The opinion of how the book feels to a designer, OR the way they think it should feel. So - i think it's impossible to know if you are being swayed or influenced by opinion, it happens in many ways. I think I am captured by them all at some point. I try and be aware of it, that's all I can say.

    Phew, turns out I had an opinion! If you are interested in my blog, I'm leaving you my A-Z link as blogger always identifies me as my shared blog with other poets - my A-Z is this one: http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to buying things (books included) I'll usually check reviews on the major sites like Amazon just to see what the general consensus is, even though it can be misleading. At least then I'll know if it got, say, three or less stars from every reviewer.


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books fall into a category all of their own as far as buying goes.

    I might be attracted by the cover art and the sound of the title.

    I generally ignore reviews and other people's opinions.

    The thing that matters most to me is to read the first page or two. Am I enticed to read further? Does the voice speak to me? Do I get a sense of confidence that my precious reading time is in safe hands?

    ReplyDelete