Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A to Z Challenge ~ Z ~ The Zombie Always Knocks Twice by E.Van Lowe




Hollywood, California, is known for swimming pools, movie stars…and now the risen dead. 

Hollywood can be a difficult place to grow up, especially if you’re Kristine Golden, a fifteen-year-old necromancer with a sworn duty to lay the risen dead back to rest and no desire to be in the movie business. 

When handsome deadie Alex Romero swaggers into her life, Kris must keep her promise, despite her growing feelings for him. If that’s not enough to give a girl a headache, a murderous zombie comes knocking at Kris’s door, rocking her world and threatening her family. 

Can Kris solve the mystery of the rampaging zombie before someone else winds up dead? Or will the walking dead take over Hollywood and turn it into…Hollyweird?




My Review:

I had fun reading this one. It is a fun zombie romp through Hollywood.  The zombies in the story are voodoo zombies, not virus zombies.  That means they aren't mindless eating machines. Someone raised them from the dead and they have memories and feelings and such. This isn't an apocalyptic zombie novel, it is more a teen mystery with zombies in it.  But please don't let that deter you from reading this one.  As I said before I had fun reading it and would definitely recommend it.

The characters are well written and enjoyable.  Despite her necromancer powers Kris is your average teen, more worried about her social life then the lives of her undead charges.  But don't get me wrong, she isn't completely self absorbed and she is very likable.  Even the supporting characters are interesting. For example Talia, Kris's best friend, is hysterical.  She isn't necessarily the best role model out there, but her antics were funny.  The zombies weren't all brain dead either.  Their stories gave them depth and I got attached to them and didn't want to see them go.

I enjoyed the story as well. It was a mystery, but there was so much more to it than that.  The mystery part was well written though.  I liked the way the author wove all the final pieces together.

This is obviously the beginning of a series.  The ending tied up certain aspects of the mystery neatly.  Some strings not involved in the mystery itself were not neatly tied up, but I assume they will eventually be dealt with as the series progresses.

There are some questions I had about the story.  Just little things though.  For example there is a scene on Rodeo Drive where Kris, Alex and one of the zombies are scene fighting, but nothing comes of it.  No one mentions seeing it in the papers or anything.  I kept waiting for them to read about it in the papers and have to come up with an explanation or something, but nada.

There weren't many of these questions and the book was fast paced.  There was lots of action, comedy and even some tear-jerking scenes as well.

I definitely recommend picking this one up and am keeping my eyes out for the sequel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is part of the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2013.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really fun. I put it on my wishlist. Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so wait - the title of the blog hahah - are these really all from Goodreads first reads giveaways you've won? *maniacal laughter*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they were originally! lol.
      I've kinda changed the review requirements that I offer. Hence another reason I changed the title of my blog.

      Delete