Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A to Z Challenge 2013 ~ O ~ Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout



by Jennifer L. Armentrout


When seventeen-year-old Katy Swartz moved to West Virginia right before her senior year, she’d pretty much resigned herself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring, but then she spotted her hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up…until he opened his mouth. Daemon Black is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. It’s hate at first sight, but when a stranger attacks her and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens. The hot guy next door? Well, he’s an alien. Turns out that Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities and Katy is caught in the cross hairs. Daemon’s touch has lit her up like the Vegas Strip and the only way she’s getting out of this alive is by sticking close to him until her alien mojo fades. That is if she doesn’t kill him first.


My Review:


Go read this book! Now! Go what are you standing around here for???
Oh wait yeah you want a review….
Sorry I just REALLY enjoyed this one.
I received this one as a Christmas prezzie from my friend Melissa over at Books and Things.  I wasn’t sure if I’d like it at first.  I’ve had some bad experiences lately with YA books that just don’t live up to their hype.  I also have issues with first person POV, so not my favorite.  Just let me say that it was definitely not the case with Obsidian. 
I really fell in love with the characters.  They were well written and solid, plus they were fun to follow around.  At the end of the book there are even some bonus chapters told from Daemon’s POV, instead of Katy’s, and it was really interesting to reread the same scenes and see what was going on in his head.
As for the story itself…I found it refreshing.  It’s been awhile since I read something that wasn’t a vampire/werewolf paranormal YA.   At one point I will admit that I was afraid it was going to turn into a book version of ‘Roswell’ or that there was going to be a love triangle clichĂ©.  I am glad to report neither happened. 
This one held my attention from beginning to end and I think it is because of the little extra details that the author put into their work.   For example, I really loved the way the author made Katy a blogger.  I think it helped to make her easier to relate to and more human.  Also the reasoning behind why her mother wasn’t always around made sense too.  I can’t wait to pick up the next book in the series.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is part of the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2013.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I've put it on my wishlist. Funny how the blog before had the same word, but as a type of knife. :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that happen with Loch Ness!
      (one was the monster the other was the actual location but still!)

      Thanks for stopping by! I've put the rest of the series on my wishlist and plan to pick them up asap.

      Delete