Monday, April 15, 2013

A to Z April Challenge 2013 ~ M ~ MachoPoni: A Prance With Death by Lotus Rose





It's "My Little Pony" ... BIZARRO style! A long time ago Poniworld was split in two. On one side of the Jagged Line is the Pastel Kingdom, a magical land of music, parties, and positivity. On the other side of the Jagged Line is the Dark Kingdom inhabited by an army of undead ponies. Every pastel poni knows never to cross the Jagged Line into the Dark Kingdom. For if a pastel poni crosses that line, its colorful skin and hair will fade to a lifeless gray. It will lose its passion for singing and dancing. It will become one of the undead ponies. But one pastel poni has no choice but to enter the Dark Kingdom. His name is Machoponi-the wildest, friendliest, purplest, and, of course, the most macho of all the ponies. He must travel through the Dark Kingdom in order to rescue Dust, the poni he loves, from the dark princess's castle. Along the way, he must use wit, creativity and his bouncy blue ball to survive the Village of the Cuddlebears (who have porcupine quills and are not very cuddly), the Valley of the Flutterfly Ponies (winged ponies who have forgotten how to fly and bounce on a giant trampoline), and the Territory of the Chill-Aid Man (a giant anthropomorphic pitcher of red liquid who has the desperate need to punch through walls). A twisted parody of My Little Pony, The Care Bears, and other '80s childhood staples.


My Review:


This is not your kid sister’s MLP!  I originally picked it up on a whim, at first not sure if it was a parody or not.  I’m really glad I picked it up.  It is a dark comedy and soooo funny!  I think having grown up with the original shows that are poked fun at in the book made it that much funnier.   It was a fun, if twisted, check that VERY twisted, romp down memory lane.
I’m not sure if someone not familiar with the cultural references would find it as amusing as I did.  Most of the fun is seeing how twisted the author gets.  I also would have liked to see more of the artwork.  Only two or three pictures were included besides the cover art.  I’m not saying turn it into a picture book, but it would have been fun to see more. 
As I said above the books humor is quite dark and there are also some rather disturbing parts.  This isn’t a little kid’s book and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone under 18. But overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and can’t wait to read more of the authors work.   




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is part of the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2013.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I just had to get it NOW on Kindle. The only toy I liked when I was growing up was MLP. I hated Barbie. I already know I am going to love this. :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I just had to read it since I was super into MLP when I was a kid and now my older brother got me back into them!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. i'm always amused with the covers of this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the best? I loved the artwork that was inside the book as well, I just wish there was more of it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete