Thursday, April 4, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge 2013 ~ D ~ Daphne and The Silver Ash by: Joss Llewelyn





When a young shoemaker is summoned to sing for a panicking phoenix afraid of its fiery rebirth, she is swept up in a thousand-year-old struggle for survival between immortal spirits. 

Endowed with the phoenix's powers of air and fire, as well as the creature's beautiful golden skin and ruby feathers, Daphne explores the city of Trevell to unravel the mystery of the Silver Ash in a race against time to save a dying tree from an ancient beast and to stop an invading army from destroying her home before the phoenix's fire consumes her mortal heart.


My Review:

Wow. Yup that pretty much sums up how I feel about this one.  Of course I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all of the author’s previous works so it wasn’t that surprising that I enjoyed this one too. But still there’s always a chance that this might be that one book that doesn’t work for some reason right?

The city of Trevell renews itself every hundred years or so with the rebirth of the Phoenix and the Silver Ash.  This time however something has gone wrong and it is up to Daphne to help fix it. 

I loved this story!  It’s an extraordinary adventure all inside of one city.   Daphne is sweet and innocent in her own way, but she is also smart and determined.  I enjoyed being introduced to her world through her eyes. How throughout her adventures she sees new parts of the city, and even old parts, with new eyes as she tries to save her daughter, herself, her city, and the rest of the people she cares about.  I really got a feel for what Trevell was and what it was supposed to be. 
I really enjoyed the way the story moved as well. While the descriptions were detailed, the story itself moved swiftly and took me along with it.  Whether it was fight scenes or dialogue I found myself eagerly turning to the next page to see what would happen next.
 The story ended quite differently than I thought it would. I won’t go into detail but I hope that there will be more stories about Trevell and its surrounding world.  I also hope there will be more stories about Daphne.  






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is part of the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2013.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intriguing book. I shall have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!
      Just a heads up Daphne and the Silver Ash is currently on sale for only 0.99 cents, just follow the link above to it's place on Amazon.

      Delete
  2. So many books to read and not time to do it seems to be my mantra now. I used to read about 4-6 novels a week (including ones for my teaching purposes. Since becoming an almost full time author, I'm barely managing a couple! Good to know people like you are enjoying all the millions of books out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is that I have so many and I feel guilty 'cause I haven't gotten around to reading them. That's why I made this year's challenge's theme reviewing a book a day a-z. At least that way I would read 26 of them that have been just floating on my reader. Course now I wish I had read them sooner!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Checking out the site for the A to Z Challenge. This cover caught my attention because of her smirk. Makes me wonder what's behind it. Great cover, and it sounds like a great read.

    This post is featured in my 1st recap post. Here's the link: http://masqueradecrew.blogspot.com/2013/04/some-great-posts-i-found-for.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too and thanks for featuring my post!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a cool book, and I like the look of the cover. Hope you had a great week of A to Z challenge!

    Look forward to the rest of your challenge posts!
    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite
    Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge
    http://tagboard.com/AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete