Saturday, April 6, 2013

A to Z April Challenge 2013 ~ F ~ A Faerie Fated Forever by Mary Anne Graham






A faerie curse promises that one perfect love awaits Laird Nial Maclee. 

To claim its passionate promise, he must find his fated lady while avoiding the traps, snares and schemes of females lured by his position, looks, charm and the blasted legend. A single misstep will condemn him to his father's fate - a lifetime of craving the love he can never have nor ever forget. Despite his vow never to face that fate, Nial knows that a laird must put the needs of his clan first, even if it means wedding the wealthy heiress and daughter of the only rival clan on the Isle of Skye, "Heather the Hag." 

To save the Clan Maclee and secure its future, he should marry the dowdy lass even though she won't "set the claws of passion" to his manhood, as the curse provides, so she can't possibly be his faerie fated forever. Before his solution to the dilemma sent Heather fleeing to transform herself for launch on the marriage mart in London, Nial should have recalled that faeries sometimes make the impossible the inevitable.

My Review:

A Faerie Fated Forever is a historical romance with paranormal elements. (I want to state that first since the cover implies that there is more faerie involvement then there actually is) 
I really enjoyed the characters for the most part and wanted to see where their story was going.  I say for the most part because Nial in the beginning of the book agitates me.  He keeps saying that he is waiting specifically for his ‘faerie fated love’ but he is blind to the signs that he might actually have found it.  He is mainly blind because he is shallow and he does eventually realize the error of his ways.  But I was eagerly waiting for him to get his comeuppance. 
I was thoroughly enjoying the story as well until it neared the end.  That’s when things started getting annoying.  ***Spoiler Alert*** It started right about the time they left England to return to the Isle of Skye.  The story just seemed to get drug out more and more.  By the end my ‘what’s gonna happen next’ interest had turned to ‘will they finally get on with it’.  I understand there was something that had to come up so that Nial could use his Faerie Flag.  It was foreshadowed at the beginning of the book when he goes into detail about the two previous times the flag had been used. But honestly if the last part of the book hadn’t been there and it had just ended with Nial and Heather reuniting in England and living happily ever after from there the story would have been fine.   Maybe if it had just gotten to the whole grand finale quicker? It just seemed sooo drug out from the point where they decide to return to Skye until the actual ending of the book.  Also there were things that happened at the end that just seemed to be ignored.  Nial losses face in front of the whole clan, but then suddenly everything is all right again, it’s never brought up except for how Heather sees him in regards to his actions.  Ok I get it, it is a love story, I shouldn’t make a big deal of it, but when it is the main reason why Nial hesitates to save Heather I think there should be some repercussions from it. I’m just saying. ***End Spoiler Alert***

 Despite my annoyance at the end of the story I did enjoy the majority of it and the characters. I would be willing to pick up the next book in the Forever Series just to see what some of the other characters are up to. 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is part of the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2013.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the post and welcomed your honest review! I cannot say I shall rush out to read this but if I stumbled across it then I might give the book a whirl.

    All the best on the A to Z from a fellow Challenger !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's currently free on Amazon (the links above!) if you're interested. Glad you liked the post and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a honest review! You obviously enjoyed it in spite of some of the dragging on .. but you posted a reflect-ful review on it ...
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, well most of it. I felt bad that I didn't enjoy all of it though. :(

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This genre has completely escaped my notice. And without lots of time, I'm not sure when I will have the opportunity to read it. So, thanks for sharing, and happy A to Z!


    MakingtheWriteConnections

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing a helpful review! This doesn't really sound like something I would like, but I did notice that it's currently free for Kindle, so I went ahead and got it. I'll check it out if the mood ever strikes me :)

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your review. I'm not sure if it is my kind of book, but maybe I'll take a look at it now. I'm an A-Z blogger.

    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, glad you enjoyed the review!

      Delete