Saturday, April 15, 2017

M is for The Midnight Sea by Kat Ross #atozchallenge





They are the light against the darkness.
The steel against the necromancy of the Druj.
And they use demons to hunt demons….

Nazafareen lives for revenge. A girl of the isolated Four-Legs Clan, all she knows about the King's elite Water Dogs is that they bind wicked creatures called daevas to protect the empire from the Undead. But when scouts arrive to recruit young people with the gift, she leaps at the chance to join their ranks. To hunt the monsters that killed her sister.

Scarred by grief, she's willing to pay any price, even if it requires linking with a daeva named Darius. Human in body, he's possessed of a terrifying power, one that Nazafareen controls. But the golden cuffs that join them have an unwanted side effect. Each experiences the other's emotions, and human and daeva start to grow dangerously close.

As they pursue a deadly foe across the arid waste of the Great Salt Plain to the glittering capital of Persepolae, unearthing the secrets of Darius's past along the way, Nazafareen is forced to question his slavery—and her own loyalty to the empire. But with an ancient evil stirring in the north, and a young conqueror sweeping in from the west, the fate of an entire civilization may be at stake…



My Review:


The Midnight Sea is an alternate earth history.
Ross has deftly woven bits and pieces of actual history into the world she has built. I enjoyed traveling through it. I hope to see more of it in the books that follow this one. 
Upon this stage that she has built she brings her characters to life with heart breaking clarity. One by one I slowly fell in love with them, even poor broken Ilyas.  I can't wait to find out more about the MC's. I also want to find out more about some of the supporting characters as well. I especially want to see how they react when their own history is turned on it's head. Although some of them, thanks to their long lives, already know the truth since they lived it. 
I definitely recommend Midnight Sea. It's a solid beginning to what looks to be an amazing series. I hope that the following books continue with the same momentum. Whether you are an avid alternate earth reader or not, I think you will enjoy this book. The ending is a lead in to the next book, but it doesn't end on a cliff hanger. But if you decide to pick up the first book, since it is currently free for Kindle on Amazon, I recommend picking up the second book as well. That way you can just begin reading it as soon as you finish with the first. If I had known how deeply I would be drawn into the world Ross has created I would have bought the second one with the first. As is it is on my wish list and I plan to pick it up as soon as I am can so I will be able to pick up where I left off when I am finished with the A to Z challenge. 








No comments:

Post a Comment