Friday, April 7, 2017

F is for Fire Starter by David Normoyle #atozchallenge







I definitely didn't start the fire.

However, I've been accused by the orphaned children of the couple who died in the inferno, and I have to clear my name. My memory of that night is fuzzy. I don't believe in magic or the supernatural, but what happened defies normal explanation. Whatever I discover, nothing will be the same again.


My Review:

Fire Starter is the prequel to The Sentinels series. I was lucky enough to get a copy because I subscribed to David J. Normoyle's newsletter. 

Following what seems to be the standard style for most prequels these days, Fire Starter is a novella. Not complaining, just making an observation. The upside of this is that it gives the reader a bite size taste of the writers style. Generally they are cheaper than a full size book. Also since it's shorter readers don't have to commit as much time to reading it. So IF they don't like the prequel they don't feel they haven't wasted too much time or resources. All benefits to the reader. The downside is that since they are shorter the author really needs to pack a lot of punch in a little package. Definitely a risk for the author. Fortunately for me AND the author, Normoyle definitely succeeded with this prequel.

Fire Starter drew me in and kept me there. I liked the characters that were introduced. I felt that I was able to get to know them in the short time we were together. I also got a view of the world the author has created in the Sentinel series. It's definitely a place that I would like to see more of. By the end of the story I wanted to see what the future held for the MC, as well as the supporting characters. I also wanted to find out more about the world they are in. Especially the other supernaturals!! 

The Sentinels is definitely going on my wish list. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up before months end. If you happen to have read it I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. 









No comments:

Post a Comment