Friday, April 14, 2017

L is for Luck of the Draw by Piers Anthony #atozchallenge




Bryce is summoned to Xanth as part of a wager between the Demons Earth and Xanth. To his surprise, he has left behind his home and family and eighty-year-old body forever, in exchange for youth and magic….and a quest. He must court and marry Princess Harmony, who is anything but willing to be courted!


My Review:

It has been a very long time since my last visit to Xanth. Not on purpose, mind you.  Just things here became busy... I knew Anthony is a very prolific writer and when I realized how much time had passed that I didn't know if I'd ever be able to catch up. (Note: I still haven't.)  Then I remembered when I began reading the Xanth books it was out of order. lol. So I figured I would buy all I could find at the book store, there were only 3, and just go from there. I'm so glad I did. I missed Xanth.

Luck of the Draw was like going home again. Except this home is still the same, and not in a bad way. Yeah, there are new faces and some of the scenery has changed, but underneath it all Xanth is still Xanth. The Gap Chasm is still there and Murphy's still old. The puns are gloriously groanie and ever abundant. As I followed the newest cast of characters on their quest I gleefully guessed at the nature of new puns. I enjoyed the story's twists and turns and trying to figure out where exactly the MC's would end up. 

If you're an old fan, well you've probably already read this one, since it is #36 out of 40.  But if you haven't, for whatever reason, pick it up. If you've never read a Xanth novel... UM... Why? While I do suggest you start at the beginning. You can pick up any one of the 40 and start reading. I suggest you start sooner than later since there are already more to be published AND it is rumored to be possibly coming to tv. Yes, the puns are silly. Yes, the story isn't gore and violence. But it's fun and fantasy and a great place to get lost in for a while.

**Anthony and Xanth introduced me to the "Author's Note". Long before I met authors in person. Long before I became related to authors. I realized that some authors interact with their fans. Even take ideas from fans. While I'm still working up the courage to write Mr. Anthony 30 yrs later..Those authors notes changed how I viewed authors. (You have to understand this was before Facebook, and Twitter. Heck it was before the internet. I know, I'm old.)  But you didn't just get a day to day view of your favorite authors back then. If you were lucky and your favorite author was REALLY popular you got to read an interview in some random magazine. But never usually something you could walk into the average store and buy. You had to go to actual bookstores for specific magazines about writing. But in those notes he gave updates on his life.  Background on were certain characters came from. Gave credit to readers for puns they contributed. Sure there was a little bit of losing the mystery of the man behind the curtain. But they were like the email newsletters of today, except you didn't get one every month or more. lol. 






No comments:

Post a Comment