Friday, April 15, 2016

M is for Mind Cafe by Lizzy Ford





The Mind Café: death’s waiting room and the only refuge for a woman trapped in her body after a tragic accident leaves her unable to do anything but watch the world and think. A fiction, paranormal short story just under 5,000 words, part of a larger collection of stories depicting a day in the life of the unique.


My Review:

I love Lizzy Ford. Honestly I should just put that for the review and then links to my other reviews for her book that I've read. Because even though this story is under 5000 words, I'm pretty much going to just say the same things about this story as I have about her other books. Ford is one of those authors that I will buy based on name alone. I don't need to know what the story is about. If her name is on it I will gladly read it.

OK. Done with the fan girling. I will now get on with reviewing Mind Cafe. lol

The story centers around Rose. A woman trapped in her body as the result of a car accident years earlier. Even though she has the ability to communicate with the outside world via an electronic device her sister created she still finds herself almost completely withdrawn to the cafe inside her mind. A place where she has various people who come to visit her. A place where she has the use of the body that she lost. A place where she can have some form of a life, extremely limited though it might be since she can't leave the cafe.

One of my favorite things about the story? I love the way that Ford never confirms if the people that visit Rose are actually there or if they are only figments of her imagination. There are facts that can't be confirmed, but somehow Rose knows to be true.

One of the most meaningful parts of the book, at least to me, was when Rose explains why she still loves her former lover even though he hasn't come to visit her since her accident. And part of the reason she loves him is because he didn't come to see him. On a personal level it really hit home.

Mind Cafe is currently free. A great addition to any Ford fans library.  A great way to be introduced to Fords writing if you haven't had the pleasure of reading anything by her before. So go grab it while it's still free! Go! Now! While you're there definitely take advantage of picking up any of her other works which might be free at the moment. Her writing covers a wide range of genres so be sure to check them out. Even if I haven't read it yet, I'm sure it will be good.














1 comment:

  1. sounds like a really intriguing story. I am not sure if I have read any of her works or not. I must check her out. Where can we get the book for free? I guess I could try googling it../all the best in the rest of the blog challenge

    ReplyDelete