Monday, December 5, 2011

Interview with Darby Karchut




Hi Darby. Thank you for joining us today. So tell me a little about yourself, where you are from, do you feel where you live influences how or what you write?


Hi, AimeeKay. First of all, thanks so much for having me here today. This is such fun.

Aw! You're welcome! *big grin* 

I am originally from New Mexico, but moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado over twenty-five years ago. I’m crazy-in-love with the mountains and the whole Colorado lifestyle. My husband and I do loads of running, hiking, biking, and skiing. In fact, Colorado Springs is the setting (with a minor name change) of my Griffin series.


What sort of expectations did you have when being published was on the horizon?

Prior to signing my first contract, I had read a lot about the realities of being published and how much work authors are expected to do promoting of their books. I was happily surprised to discover that talking about my books is a lot of fun. It must be how parents feel talking about their children, in a way.

Actually, the whole process of taking a manuscript all the way to book form has been a kick to learn and I’ve loved every minute of it. Especially revising and editing. That’s the part I enjoy the most. I live to tweak!


What is your biggest pet peeve ?

People who whistle through their nose. And wet socks.


Have you always been interested in angels?


Nope. Never really thought much about them until Griffin came along. He a persistent little bugger, I must say.


Where/how did you come up with the idea for your book Griffin Rising?

One day, I was shopping at a bookstore and started glancing through a text on the Middle Ages. One section described a legend about a caste of angels who were said to control Earth, Fire, Wind and Water. A few days later, while running the foothills near my home, the idea of a warrior angel training his young apprentice while living secretly among humans just slammed into my head. So I went home and started writing Griffin’s story.

Truth be told, I have never wanted to be a writer, but I read all the time. So I guess the old expression is true:  you read and you read, and one day, you throw up a book.

Is there a genre you prefer to write? What about to read?


YA and Middle Grade fantasy (for both reading and writing). I also love history books.

Care to give us a peek at what your latest writing project is?

Book Three, Griffin’s Storm, is in rough draft form and not quite ready to share. I am also working on a middle grade series based on Celtic mythology. It is set in the same city as the Griffin series. Yes, there will be a cameo from a certain teen angel.


Thanksgiving just passed, so in keeping with the holiday spirit, what are you most thankful for from this past year?

Easy one! My husband. He has been my rock to stand on through this crazy year. I am also thankful for my family (hi, Mom) and friends (hi, Kaci) who have been with me from the beginning of the journey.


Thanks again for having me here today, AimeeKay. Your questions were awesome! Happy holidays, everyone. Stop by my blog or website – the coffee is always on!

You can also find Darby here:

Facebook
GoodReads

A signed copy of Griffin Rising is up for grabs at my post for The Book Lover's Holiday Giveaway Hop! So be sure to check it out before the 6th!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, AimeeKay, this was one of my most favorite interviews! I loved your questions! Thanks so much for having me here!

    ReplyDelete