Friday, September 19, 2014

Happy Release Day! (and review!)

I want to wish a Happy Release Day to J.L. Bryan for his newest book:







Ellie Jordan’s job is to catch and remove unwanted ghosts. Part detective, part paranormal exterminator, Ellie operates out of Savannah, Georgia, one of the oldest and most haunted cities in North America. 

When a family contacts her to deal with a disturbing presence in the old mansion they’ve recently purchased, Ellie first believes it to be a typical, by-the-book specter, a residual haunting by a restless spirit. Instead, she finds herself confronting an evil older and more powerful than she’d ever expected, rooted in the house’s long and sordid history of luxury, sin, and murder. The dangerous entity seems particularly interested in her clients’ ten-year-old daughter. 

Soon her own life is in danger, and Ellie must find a way to exorcise the darkness of the house before it can kill her, her clients, or their frightened young child. 



My Review:


I was lucky enough to get a chance to read this book before it came out! So lucky!!!

Once again Bryan has knocked it out of the park!  I have loved all his books so far and I sooo glad he's making another series to enjoy! My only complaint is he creates such great books, it's hard to review them without sounding like a complete promotional ad! But I will try! 

OK. (Deep breath)

I'm definitely giving this book 5 stars. I enjoyed everything about it. 

I love the way Bryan brings everything together. The characters, the story, the way he weaves the paranormal into the present day. No it's not building a complete world from the ground up. But in a way it's harder to have to fit the world the characters and story that you've created into the present day, yet still keep it fun and believable. 
Ellie is a great strong female lead. She's sarcastic and funny, but she's not the only one. All the characters bring something interesting to the table, even the ghosts! I'm so glad this is only book one in the series, because I can't wait to see the characters grow and to find out more about them.
While I did see some of the story coming, mainly because there was obviously so much left of the book, it did have a lot of great twists and turns. Also I really liked the reasoning behind them, it added that extra draw into the story.  I especially like the twist at the end. I was not expecting it. 
Yes, this is book one in the series but it doesn't end on a cliffie. (YAY!) It's a great stand alone novel, yet at the same time it sets up the beginning of what looks to be an awesome series. I can't wait for the next novel to come out! I want to see where Bryan takes the characters and get to know them better. I think the book is easily enjoyable across a range of ages, from teen to adult. I would let my teens read it without reservations, but at the same time, I would definitely recommend it to my friends as well. If you haven't read any of Bryan's work.....seriously? Why not? This is a great book to start with if you haven't.  As I said above, even though it's the beginning of a series, it is a capable stand alone, so no need to worry about being left hanging at the end. If you have read his work...then what are you doing reading this review??? You already know Bryan's work is amazing! Stop reading this and go get this book!! 


****All the legalese:  I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions expressed are my own and nobody else's. ****

No comments:

Post a Comment