Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2012 - November Round Up - Part 2





This challenge is being hosted by Mother/Gamer/Writer.
 For more details on the challenge such as levels, guidelines, PRIZES!!!, just click here.

This post is to  link to all reviews of the books I've read for this challenge this month. To check out  books for this month read by other readers that are taking part in this challenge click here!


I've got one more graphic novel for you guys this month:


By: Jeremy Bastian


Adventures on and under the high seas lead a cursed pirate girl to encounter mythic creatures, gnarled and crusty pirates, and ghostly apparitions as she tries to find her lost father, one of the dreaded Pirate Captains of the mythical Omerta Seas. Cursed Pirate Girl is a whimsical, swashbuckling tale of wonderland journeys and unimaginable dangers, starting in Port Elisabeth, Jamaica in the year 1728, and quickly heading across - and beneath - the waves!


My Review:

This is the story of the cursed pirate girl.  She inadvertently pisses off the local governor by corrupting his daughter by telling her tales of her glorious pirating adventures.  He probably wouldn’t have even known except his daughter proceeds to go all pirate at the dinner he has planned especially for the prince.  At first he is just humiliated, but the prince thinks it is cute, that is until he takes a piece of fruit to the face.  Then he just becomes an ass. I mean really he encouraged Apollonia’s antics and then gets pissy when she accidentally hits him in the face.  Definitely a jerk.  It all leads up to the governor sending someone out to kill the cursed pirate girl and that is what leads into her grand adventure with the parrot Pepper Dice to locate her father in the Omerta Seas.

*Sigh* I liked the story. Too bad it wasn’t able to be completed in one volume.  But I liked the story well enough that I would be willing to pick up the rest of the series to see how it ends.  The story itself, as well as some of the art work, doesn’t take itself too seriously.  While there are some gory parts, of the story, someone loses an eye, and some people get eaten, overall the story is fun. It is also quick paced and there isn’t a lot of down time in the telling, something is always going on.

I liked the characters too.  The cursed pirate girl is fun and takes everything in stride.  Her companions are entertaining as well as some of the more colorful characters she meets along the way. I especially liked Jacob.
****Spoiler Alert **** The ending is a cliffie and definitely leaves one wondering if she will ever find her father.  (I personally want to find out more about the turkey and the dragon pirates. Sorry so spoilery I know)  I personally dislike cliffies that seem to end mid scene, but I enjoyed the story so much so far that I will let it go.
The main issue I had was with the art work and the lettering.  The artwork….there was just soooo much of it.  I liked that there were tons of details.


According to Amazon the book will be available December 25th. I was able to get my copy through NetGalley.



No comments:

Post a Comment