Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2012 - November Round-Up




This challenge is being hosted by Mother/Gamer/Writer.
 For more details on the challenge such as levels, guidelines, PRIZES!!!, just click here.

This post is to  link to all reviews of the books I've read for this challenge this month. To check out  books for this month read by other readers that are taking part in this challenge click here!


In celebration of the holidays coming up I have 2 reviews this month.  One is naughty and one is nice, both are graphic novels and both were really good! So on with the reviews! I'll start off with my nice pick first. 



By: Evonne Tsang


Can love survive the zombie apocalypse? Maybe Dicey's first chance at a real relationship was dead from the start. She's the star of her high school baseball team, and Jack's the star of the science program. Her idea of a study session includes sleeping in the sun, and his idea of a good game involves dungeons and dice. But opposites start attracting when they're assigned to be partners in a class project. Now an outbreak of a weird infection--it eats your brains and leaves you hungry for more--might not mean just the end of their first date. It might mean the end of everything. Will their relationship fall apart faster than zombies in the Florida sun, or can Dicey and Jack beat the odds and find a happy ending?

My Review:

So my daughter brought this one home for me from school. (Told me she saw zombies and figured I’d like it, what a good girl!) My Boyfriend is a Monster is a cute little graphic novel. It seemed a bit thin at first, but those 124 pages had a whole lotta story packed in them.
I thought the interaction between Dicey and Jack was really cute. The first half of the book you get to see how they first start working together and a little bit about their own personal histories. The zombie action doesn’t start ‘til the second half, but the first part was interesting so I didn’t mind. As for the zombie part itself I think how the zombies come about is a neat twist. 
I liked the artwork as well. It wasn’t as overly detailed as some of the manga I’ve read recently, but it was still well drawn. It seemed more realistic and down to earth, which fit the story perfectly.




The next one is my naughty pick.  Definitely not for those minors on your shopping list this year. But it was REALLY good!  


By: Raven Gregory


The one thing known is that her time spent in a world full of insanity left her a broken adult. However, her courageous will to survive is what ultimately saved humanity. Now the story of Alice's visit into Wonderland is fully revealed and the truth of the terror will be told in full! From Raven Gregory, Ralph Tedesco, and Joe Brusha, the minds behind Grimm Fairy Tales and Return To Wonderland, comes the series that Zenescope fans have been waiting for! Follow Zenescope back down the rabbit hole and discover a world of madness like you've never seen before!


My Review:

Ok, let me start out by saying this isn’t you children’s Alice in Wonderland! It is violent and twisted to say the least. But please don’t let that deter you from picking up this awesome read! 

The story itself loosely follows the original Alice in Wonderland. The same main characters are there, but now Alice is all grown up and the authors have taken the craziness of Wonderland to a whole new dimension. I loved the story. It puts a whole new spin on the Alice in Wonderland idea. It is very twisted though so be prepared. Also there were some references to other previously published issues. But the references didn’t detract from the story itself, if anything, they made me want to find the other issues that were mention so I could read them! 
As I said in the beginning though, it is not a story for kids anymore. It is incredibly violent and graphic. Also Alice is grown up but her clothes didn’t grow with her, so she is very, I repeat VERY scantily clad. 




Hope you like the round-up for this month. Thanks for stopping by!

AimeeKay








No comments:

Post a Comment