Wednesday, April 12, 2017

J is for Just Another Day in the Zombie Apocalypse by L.C. Mortimer




The zombie apocalypse? 

Like that could ever happen. 

Alice wakes up on the roof one day to find the world on fire. Everything’s burning, and what isn’t burning is coming back from the dead. 

Zombies. 

Trapped on top of their apartment building, Alice, Mark, and Kyle must work together to find their way out of the city and to safety. 

Can they do it? 

Find out in Just Another Day in the Zombie Apocalypse, episode 1.


My Review:


Just Another Day is the first episode in this serial. So it's short and like most episodes I've read it ends on a cliffie. Not too bothered by that because: a- I've come to expect that from the 'episodes' of serials. and  b-The author is polite enough to let the reader know in the beginning of the book. 

 As for the story. It's interesting. I'll give it that.  The voice switched between all 3 characters, which helped to get to know each one a little better.  The zombies are there from the beginning. In fact, the characters wake up to the apocalypse in full swing. The focus of this part is on introducing the three main characters and getting them started on their journey in their new world. Think more prepping, less slaying. It ends with their first major confrontation with their new neighbors. 

Would I read more of the series? Yes.
   
I just couldn't seem to connect to any of the characters. Maybe because the episode is as short as it is? I mean if one of the three main MC's got eaten before the end of that episode I didn't really care. It's not like I was rooting for them to get chomped. (Yes, it happens. lol) But it just didn't get me to care. I really think that has to do with the length of the book. I tend to think of episodes being like an episode of a tv show. Sometimes, even really good shows don't quite have all the kinks worked out in the pilot or the premier. Because of this I tend to give episodic serials more leeway in the beginning then I do ones of a longer length.   IF this had been a full novel and I felt this way at the end I definitely wouldn't be picking up the next book. 

So yes, I will definitely pick up the next episode. I want to see where the author plans to take these characters. I saw a lot of different directions that characters could go in. Plus it ends on a cliffie. So maybe one of their stories will end at the beginning of the next book.  But I wasn't completely sold on their stories yet. Which is why I'm not giving it a perfect 5 out of 5. It's not horrible, but it didn't quite blow me away.

I think if I were to do it over I would pick up more than just the first episode. Then I would have gotten a better feel of the series as a whole and wouldn't be stuck in such a limbo. I would either love it or hate it. Not just be ok with it. 








No comments:

Post a Comment