Thursday, April 6, 2017

E is for Ella Dethroned by Brandon Barr #atozchallenge




Hunted and desperate, Ella, the former Luminess of the Blue Mountain Realm, must evade her pursuers and fulfill a mission given her by the gods. She carries a strange, otherworldly device, the purpose of which she does not know, but if she is to grasp hold of a conditioned prophecy spoken over her, she must survive to deliver the device to a mysterious man named Quanthum.

Her only aid is her sharp intelligence . . . that, and a devoted soldier named Rathan, who has sworn to protect her.


My Review:



Ella Dethroned is a prequel to Song of the Worlds, which I haven't read yet. After finishing it I definitely want to. 

Ella is short, it is a novella. But it has quite a bit packed into it.  It starts small, focusing on Ella and Rathan fleeing the hunters that have been sent to kill her. But then it grows, exploring both the two MCs as well as the world that Barr has built. Obviously since it isn't a full novel  certain things are only hinted at.  Ella is as committed to her beliefs as Rathan is to her. Sometimes both of these things cause potential issues for their escape and survival. The world that Barr introduces the reader to looks to be one that I will enjoy exploring in the rest of the series. I should really say universe since the world the story is set in is just one of many, a few of which are mentioned. 

If you haven't read any of his work I definitely recommend picking up a copy of this one.  I'm assuming because it's a prequel that you don't have to read this one before reading the rest of the series. But since it's a novella I think it's a good opportunity to check it out first to see if it's something that you would want to read without having to commit to a full length book. Especially if it's not a genre you generally read. Since it is a short read, I'd love to hear what you think of it. Or if you've read the other books in the series I'd love to hear about them too. (Even though I've already set my mind to picking them up as soon as I get a chance. lol) 






I received this book thanks to being a subscriber to the VIP Newsletter of Author Brandon Barr and decided to review it for the A to Z Challenge 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment