Saturday, April 1, 2017

A is for The Alpha Plague by Michael Robertson #atozchallenge






Rhys is an average guy who works an average job in Summit City—a purpose built government complex on the outskirts of London.

The Alpha Tower stands in the centre of the city. An enigma, nobody knows what happens behind its dark glass.

Rhys is about to find out.

At ground zero and with chaos spilling out into the street, Rhys has the slightest of head starts. If he can remain ahead of the pandemonium, then maybe he can get to his loved ones before the plague does. 



My Review:

Overall I liked The Alpha Plague. 

It kept a good pace. It didn't feel like I was forcing myself through any of it. The characters were interesting. In fact I've already picked up the second book in the series because I kinda want to know what happened to some of them when the plague got loose. Plus I'd like to see what else is going on in the world that Robertson has started to create. His zombies aren't quite the normal biters either. So I am interested in seeing where he takes them as well.

Like I said I overall I enjoyed The Alpha Plague. I didn't lose interest. I didn't feel like I was avoiding the book. If you read and review books you know what I mean. "Accidentally" leaving the book, or in this case kindle, at home. Having things like laundry that had just HAD to be done before I could sit down and read. You know, avoiding a book. lol.  It was a good read. 

However, while there were things I felt made it different than the average zombie read, there were a few things that just bugged me. They are more my personal opinion of things, than actual glaring issues. The biggest thing that I will mention here is regarding Rhys.  

***Spoiler Alert*** Not a major spoiler, I'm going to be purposely vague. But once you start reading the book, then what I'm going to say might give away certain things. *** End spoiler Alert***

Throughout Alpha Plague he is described as more of an extremely lucky, right place/right time hero, who is NOT a hero. Not mentally and not physically. The thing is HE even feels he isn't in any way a hero. That being said there are certain things I understood he did near the end of the book that I can see him doing simply because it's good character growth, plus it makes him actually a hero. There are certain things he decides to do though that really I think push the whole character growth boundaries.  Yes, his decisions are a lead in for the next book two. But the characters reasons for deciding to take one specific course of action, to me anyway, seem flimsy at best. It felt like the only reason the author had Rhys decide what he did was simply to set up the next book. 

I'm still going to read The Alpha Plague 2. Already got it downloaded to my Kindle and ready to read. The first book got me that interested that while I'm not happy with the set up at the end, I still want to read the next book and find out where Robertson takes his characters, his world AND his zombies.   

If you're a zombie addict like me, I definitely recommend The Alpha Plague. During my self imposed exile I read A LOT of 'end of the world' books, the majority involving zombies. 
Yes, that got very repetitive. lol
Not really the authors of those stories faults. There is only so much that you can do to the zombie/end of the world formula. That means the author really needs to step up the other aspects of the book. The characters, their interactions with each other, the world building, story pacing, scene descriptions, believability, etc.  Some authors knocked it out of the park. Some did not. The Alpha Plague was a book that I only read in the last few months in anticipation of the A to Z challenge. So it had the extra challenge of coming after that long line of other zombie reads.  Yet it still got and held my attention. It still made me want to read the next book in the series. So Yes, I am recommending it. If you've read it I'd love to hear your thoughts. 












Be sure to stop by tomorrow for the letter B and my review of Before I Fall! See you tomorrow!


I purchased this book from Amazon while on a zombie buying bender and decided to review it for the letter A for the A to Z Challenge 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment