Saturday, April 9, 2016

H is for The Housewife Assassin's Handbook by Josie Brown






Every housewife needs an alias. Donna Stone has one — and it happens to be government-sanctioned. But when terrorism hits close to home, it makes for strange bedfellows — and brings new meaning to the old adage, “Honey, I’m home…” 


My Review:

Oh how I love a book that makes me laugh out loud. The Housewife Assassin's Handbook is just such a book. I really enjoyed the pop culture references strewn throughout. Although does it count as a 'pop culture' reference if the tv show it's playing off of was from a previous century? God I don't need to worry about showing my age. Just saying 'previous century' makes me feel too old to care! 

Seriously though if you don't get the references I definitely think you'll still laugh out loud at this book.

On top of the comedy the romance running throughout the book was good too. Amazingly Handbook is the second book I've read and reviewed recently that had a love triangle that worked. And I read them back to back.... I mean that's a BIG coincidence in my world. But no that doesn't mean I'm gonna start purposely reading books with love triangles in them. I'm just saying it's an interesting occurrence.  When the number of well written love triangles is larger than the number of poorly written, thrown in because EVERY other best seller has one, then, and only then I might...MIGHT change my opinion.

This book really did achieve a trifecta though. Spy novels have never been on my top ten most wanted list. Sorry, they just don't do it for me. I'm a sci-fi/fantasy girl first and foremost. Always have been, always will. But this one, it's going up in my top ten. I wasn't bored at all while reading it. Yes, I did suspect certain things. But up til the big reveal I wasn't even sure which way it was going to go. I like a book that makes me think without giving me a headache. 

I plan on picking up the next book. Not only because I want to follow Donna on more of her adventures,  but also because I could definitely use more laughter in my life. I hope the second book is as funny as the first.

I don't recommend this book for anybody under 18. Unlike her namesake, this Donna Stone is far from G-rated.  But I do highly recommend it to those over 18, whether they recognize the name or not.









No comments:

Post a Comment