Friday, April 1, 2016

B is for Breeder by Chase Novak






Alex and Leslie Twisden told each other they would do anything to have children. The price didn’t matter. But the experimental procedure they found had costs they couldn’t foresee.

Adam and Alice Twisden’s lives seem perfectly normal. Except that, every night, without fail, their parents lock them into their rooms.

And the twins know that the sounds they can hear are not just their imagination. They’re real. And they’re getting louder...

From a new name in horror, Breed is a stunning thriller in the vein of Rosemary’s Baby, brilliantly written, daring, and unforgettable.


My Review:

What can I say about Breed?

The characters have detailed backgrounds. There is intrigue and suspense. The descriptions are well written. But there was something missing. I just couldn't seem to connect with the main characters.  I got drawn into the larger story, the world of the children the doctor had created, but not the story of the Twisden family itself. Which I think was the main problem since they were the main characters of the book.  I didn't hate them, yet at the same time I didn't find myself caring what happened to them. I reread the book and I still can't say why.

The most surprising thing I can say about the book is that when all is said and done I DO want to read the sequel. I want to find out more about the rest of the doctors children.  I want to find out how the rest of the world decides to deal with them now that more of them are making their presence known.

I think overall Breed felt more like a prequel to a bigger story.  The ending left me feeling as if there was still more to the story that hadn't been said. Which, considering the depth of the descriptions of the characters and how much was revealed about what really was done to create Alex and Leslie's children, just left me feeling disappointed. I hope that the second book brings everything together. Then maybe the first book won't feel like such a let down. But unfortunately if I have to read a second book to really appreciate the first book then there's a problem.













1 comment:

  1. You seem to have enjoyed this. :) Just following up on fellow A to Z'ers. :)
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete