Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for Thrall by Jennifer Quintenz






Welcome to Braedyn Murphy’s life. She’s a typical—if shy—sophomore navigating the slings and arrows of high school life with her two best friends, Royal and Cassie. Then a new boy, Lucas, moves into the house next door, and Braedyn finds herself falling in love for the first time. 

But Braedyn’s normal life comes crashing down around her ears when she learns she’s a descendent of Lilith, the mother of all demons - and that she might play a critical role in an ancient war between the Sons of Adam and the Daughters of Lilith. Turns out the right answers aren’t always clear or easy. And as for “good” and “evil” – it all depends on how you choose to act. 

Inspired by the ancient Mesopotamian myths of Lilith and her offspring, Thrall explores first love, strong friendships, and taking on adult responsibilities against the backdrop of powerful supernatural forces and life-and-death stakes. 

My Review:

I have been so lucky to pick such awesome books to use for my A to Z challenge. Thrall is no exception! 
An example of how good this one was? I usually don't read the excerpts from next book that are found at the end of a book. I figure eventually I will get to the next book and I don't want to be left hanging. In the case of Thrall I kept reading. I just had to get a bit more of the world and characters Quintenz has created. 

Let's start with her characters, because they are awesome. I loved Braedyn. She just feels so real. Yes she makes mistakes, but most of them are based on her belief that her actions are going to help, not hurt, the people around her. Also her reactions to things were so human. But it wasn't just Braedyn.  I kinda got attached to all the characters, even the bad ones. The way the author wove them all together, their interactions, all just made the story even better.

The world the author created that hides inside our own is well done too. The Daughters of Lilith, the Sons of Adam, and their intertwined history definitely pulls one in. Quintenz builds their worlds with enough information to satisfy, but also with enough left out to make the reader want to keep reading to find out more, a delicate balance to be sure. 

The story, while part of a trilogy, could easily stand on it's own. Yes, there are unanswered questions at the end, and there are definitely threats that are still there for the Guard. But the ending isn't so much a cliffie as it is a lead in to the second novel. A novel I REALLY hope gives answers to certain questions that I'm dying to know about! The story pulled me in though from beginning to end and as I said I just couldn't get enough.













No comments:

Post a Comment