Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S is for Sleepers by Megg Jensen






An adoptee raised in a foreign land, sixteen-year-old Lianne was content with her life as handmaiden to the queen, until a spell cast on her at birth activated. Now she's filled with uncontrollable rage and access to magic she thought had been bled from her people years ago. Even her years of secret training in elite hand-to-hand combat and meditation can’t calm the fires raging inside her. 

Her heart is torn between two boys, the one she’s always loved and the one who always ignored her. But when the kingdom threatens to tear itself apart due to rumors surrounding the queen’s alleged affair, who will Lianne protect and who will she destroy? 


My Review:

Sleepers left me a little torn. The majority of the book I liked. 

For example I liked Lianne. You can see her grow throughout the book as she realizes her magic and where it could take her. I also liked Mags. Usually I have issues with characters who cheat. But I felt sorry for Mags, and she was so pure about it. (I know that sounds weird, but read the book and you'll understand)
I was intrigued by the story. The idea of three babies being sent on a mission to overthrow their oppressors, but knowing nothing of it 'til their 16th birthday. It brings the idea of a sleeper cell to a whole new level.  

The issue I have with the book didn't come 'til basically the end. So I'm going to try to explain it without giving away too many spoilers. Here goes.

The ending, mainly the last few pages just bugged me.  First they say they are going away, which makes perfect sense, because of what's going on.  Then they say they will eventually fight back. I guess I just didn't understand what exactly they would be fighting for.  The leaving made sense. They wanted to get away from both countries. But what exactly would they be coming back to fight? The Fithians treated them like crap, not all of them, but the majority, why would the come back to save them from their own people? Yes the Dalagans are not what the adoptees were led to believe they were, but still. Leaving both countries behind made sense, the fighting back, not so much. Not to mention how they felt they were going to be able to do that anyway. But I assume that will be revealed in the next book.

Overall I liked the book. It held my attention and I liked trying to figure out where the author was taking me to next. I was even surprised by a few of the twists and turns that were taken. If given the opportunity I would read the second book in the trilogy. Again, it was only the very end the bothered me. 

If you've already read Sleepers I'd love to know your opinion on the book. Especially the part I have issues with at the end. If you haven't read it, Sleepers is currently free on Amazon, so check it out and let me know what you think.















1 comment: