Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn






Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can't read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can't be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf's mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she's dragged deep into a hidden underworld of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.


My Review:

After finishing this book I really need to remember why I didn't read it in the first place.  I mean it's been sitting on my Kindle for months. I just kept passing it by.  I think because the cover is similar to a book that I really wasn't interested in, so maybe I just thought they would be the same. *shrug* No idea, but I'm definitely glad that I finally read it!
Open Minds pulled me in and wouldn't let me go even after I finished the last page. I loved Kira. I wanted to punch the readers in the head for treating her like crap when she was a zero! Not to give too much of a spoiler, but I think the only part I didn't like about her was how she let herself get manipulated by Simon. But her being manipulated I think was necessary for her growth, so I forgive it.  I do have to say I think Kira is a way better person than me, if I could jack into peoples minds....that would be AWESOME!!! I don't think I'd jack the people who I care about, but random annoying strangers, most definitely!
The world Quinn has built is amazing too. Plus it's really believable. Ok, maybe not the whole mind reading/mind control thing. (Although anything could happen, right?)  But the way that people reacted to things, like the jackers, in her world.  You know for a fact that if people suddenly started to read peoples minds that there would be all sorts of distrust and biases running around.  The idea of people being put in camps...not that unbelievable. ' But wait', you say, 'this is America, the good old U.S.A. we wouldn't do that!'  Um yea, we already did. During WWII Japanese Americans were sent to camps, in AMERICA! Don't believe me? Google it. So that when the reader finds out about  Kira's great-grampa being sent to a camp it is utterly believable.One of my favorite scenes, not to spoil too much, is how Raf reacts to her secret. It shows how even someone is a close friend can react with fear and distrust.

I really loved this book. I want to get the rest of the trilogy, and the only reason I'm holding off is I have to finish this challenge. If I get them I will read them immediately and right now I still have books to finish for A to Z. As soon as April is over though...I'm so getting them! Right now Open Minds is still free on Amazon, definitely recommend grabbing it while you have a chance.







No comments:

Post a Comment